We all have a teacher that has made a difference in our lives. It is because of this teacher that you are now inspired to become one yourself. But the route to becoming a teacher isn’t that easy as you may think it to be. You need to earn a degree, clear exams, and acquire a teaching license to enter a school to teach. Unless you meet these criteria, you cannot teach.
If you are someone who has decided to pursue your career as a teacher, then you should start preparing for it. In case you have less idea about the route or the degree to gain to become a teacher, then you are in the right place.
Guide to Become a Teacher
Just like many other aspiring candidates, you, too, want to become a teacher. To accomplish your dreams, you must go through the following path.
1. Get a degree
The minimum qualification required to become a teacher is a bachelor’s degree. However, you have some choices depending on the amount of experience you need and the type of teacher you want to become.
- Bachelor’s Degree: The first step to becoming a teacher is to get a bachelor’s degree. Most schools and colleges want to see your bachelor’s degree, including more specific programs. It would help if you got a bachelor’s degree done in the subject that you are passionate about teaching. A bachelor’s degree is good enough for teaching primary level and kindergarten kids. If you want to teach senior classes, then you need a higher degree than this.
- Master’s Degree: If you have higher ambitions like teaching like college students or high school students, then getting a master’s degree is a must. Having a master’s degree means you can negotiate for a higher salary as well.
2. Get your teaching license
To start your teaching career, you need to get your teaching license. Unless you have acquired that you cannot apply for a teaching job, the requirements for a teaching license can be different for different states.
To get your license, you need to sit for a specific exam that will be conducted by the state. After you clear the exam, you can get your teaching license. Before your site for the exam, make sure that you check your state’s requirements.
Alternative Routes to Becoming a Teacher
Some people decide to join the teacher much later in their lives. Some do it as their newfound passion, while others opt for it to switch jobs. In this case, you need to do the following:
- Go through your state’s policies for alternative teaching certificates
- The alternative certification must be approved in your state
- You need to complete a residency or student teaching alongside a mentor teacher.
- Sit for your state licensure exam.
However, these steps may vary depending on where you stay or your geographical location. Therefore, you are advised to do your research. This will help you to know the process better and in more detail.
Becoming a teacher can be easy if you have the dedication and passion for being one. It would help if you committed yourself to your students, and only then can you become an ideal teacher.